Saturday, February 17, 2007

Rough Afternoon & Evening

It's been almost 24 hours, as I write this, since I got my infusion of oxaliplatin yesterday. It's been a rough day for me physically. I just checked the site meter, and I see folks have been checking in. I'm sure some of you wonder how I'm doing since yesterday's infusion, so I wanted to write a post.

The beginning of the infusion went pretty smoothly, but the last half hour or so left my arm was aching, and when it was time to go, I already had pins and needles in my legs, and some trouble walking. And I felt awful. Dozed most of the way home, hoping I wouldn't throw up (and I didn't), and I went right to bed for a few hours when I did get home.

Last night after a light supper, I started a new round of Xeloda, the chemo I take in pill form after breakfast and dinner.

I slept pretty well last night, although my cold sensitivity means that I need to draw warm tap water in order to drink some water during the night. And I have an ache in my shoulder that may require a visit to the chiropractor. Not feeling as healthy and strong today as I was on Wednesday!

I'll take it easy today. I don't have any place I have to be, and nothing I have to do. Actually, that's not completely true, since I have four more batches of papers to grade this weekend. Still, laying low seems like just the ticket for today. I wish I felt better, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynne....You're always on mind. Hope today is restful and you can enjoy the sunshine streaming in on you, promising warmer days ahead! Love, Jamie

Tia said...

Aloha, Lynne,
Again, can I ever relate! Oxaliplatin knocked me silly, with five days in bed. (I'm told it's probably not a Gemcidabine reaction.) I'm much better today.
I'm hoping that Round II of Oxaly on Friday will be OK; they're adding more stuff to counter the side effects.
I'll bet Patty and the kids are taking the best care of you, just as my husband has for me.
Spoil yourself with some do-nothing time.
I have no idea of the veracity of the claim that the worse you feel, the more effective the chemo is in whacking the cancer cells, but I'll buy it for now.
Stay warm, Friend, think about St. John's Island, and smile.
Love,
Tia